Nourishing French Toast
NOURISHING FRENCH TOAST
Delicious and easy breakfast with tons of nutrition benefits!
4 slices whole-grain bread
1/2 cup milk of choice (cow, soy, oat)
1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 ripe banana, mashed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp maple syrup or date paste, optional
coconut oil, for cooking
Serving Size: 2 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5-10 minutes
1. Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add about 1 tsp coconut oil to prevent sticking.
2. To make the egg mixture: beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, mashed banana, vanilla, and maple syrup or date paste (if using), together in a shallow bowl. Mix well.
3. Dip the bread in the egg mixture. Coat the entire piece of bread!
4. Place the bread in the heated skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until your desired doneness.
5. Top with desired toppings (maple syrup, plain yogurt with berries, sautéed bananas made with coconut oil and cinnamon).
*To make date paste: (1/2 cup) measure 1 cup dates and all to a large bowl. In the meantime, add 1/2 cup warm (Heat up the water first- not boiling just warmed through). Let it sit for at least a minute (5 minutes is better) to soften. Puree for a few minutes (in a food processor or blender) and you have a yummy sugar replacement that goes with just about everything!